Research shows reading can have a calming effect on animals. Rescue Readers — a one-hour reading program where young students come to the shelter and read to the animals in our adoption centers — provides soothing company to dogs, cats, and critters as they await adoption. And as a bonus, students gain confidence and improve their reading skills!
Participants first complete an orientation session where they’ll learn about AHS and the Rescue Readers program. After orientation, they can sign up for scheduled one-hour reading sessions. Readers can choose to spend the entire hour with one animal or divide their time among multiple animals.
AHS will provide books to read and blankets to sit on, but readers may also bring their favorite books from home. Every student will also receive a special Rescue Readers bookmark, reading log, and certificate.
The cost of the Rescue Readers orientation is $15, and each hour-long reading session is $10. Registration covers the cost for one reader and one parent or guardian. The parent or guardian is expected to be present with their child for the entirety of the program. We are unable to accommodate unregistered siblings at orientation or reading sessions.
Rescue Readers is currently available at our Golden Valley, Woodbury, and Coon Rapids locations and will expand to St. Paul in 2018.
Orientations are 1 hour and 45 minutes in length.
- Saturday, September 16, 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, October 8, 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, October 29, 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday, September 9, 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, October 1, 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, September 17, 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday, October 7, 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, October 15, 9:00 a.m.
Reading sessions are 1 hour in length.
- Sunday, September 17, 10:30 a.m.
- Saturday, October 14, 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 25, 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 11, 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday, October 21, 10:30 a.m.
- Saturday, October 28, 10:30 a.m.
- Monday, September 11, 4:30 p.m.
- Sunday, September 24, 9:00 a.m.
- Monday, October 9, 4:30 p.m.
- Sunday, October 22, 9:00 a.m.